Basma J. Faour, EdD
Dr. Basma Faour
Associate Professor in Education
Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Office: HER 310
Tel ext.: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Basma Faour is an Associate Professor in the Department of Education. During her 20 years as a professional educator, she has taught early childhood and elementary education undergraduate and graduate courses at Haigazian University (HU), the Lebanese American University (LAU) and the American University of Beirut (AUB). She served as Chair for the Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences for five years at HU. Dr. Basma also worked on consultancy projects with AUB, the Arab Resource Collective (ARC) and UNESCO and participated in a TV documentary series sponsored by UNICEF (Knowing the Child). During recent years, and as a regional expert for the UNESCO Regional Office, she contributed several reports on the status of early childhood in the Arab countries and was instrumental in the launching of the first online Arab Community of Practice (ACOPED). She co-authored a research report that was presented at the Regional Arab Conference on Early Childhood Care and Education in Damascus and later in Moscow in 2010. Dr. Faour also served as an external reviewer and consultant to universities, schools and child care organization in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and other Gulf countries. Dr. Faour was the Director for the Center of Teaching and Learning and Chairperson of the Quality Assurance Board at Dhofar University, Sultanate of Oman. She conducted several training workshops in Lebanon, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, and Oman. In addition, she published several training manuals for preschool teachers in Lebanon and in the Arab region. She participated and presented in several international and regional conferences and has several publications.
Early and elementary undergraduate and graduate courses with emphasis on curriculum and pedagogy
Early childhood teachers’ beliefs and practices, policy issues, and curriculum
- Faour, B. and Alsuwaigh, S. August 2010. Early Childhood in the Arab Countries: Status and Challenges Report submitted to UNESCO for the World Conference on Early Childhood Care and Education, Moscow, Russia, 27-29 September 2010.
- Faour, B . March 14, 2010. Mapping early childhood services and programmes in the Arab Region, Background Study for Arab Resource Collective and Open Society Institute.
- Faour, B. April 2009. Active Learning: Recipe for Success, Qatr Al-Nada, issue 14. Arab Resource Collective (in Arabic).
- Faour, B. and Rizk, R. 2007. Active Learning Pack: a guide for KG teachers. Concepts and activities for children 3-6. Beirut, Lebanon. Welfare Association and the Arab Resource Collective (in Arabic).
- Faour, B. & al. 2006. Early childhood care and education in four Arab countries. Background paper EFA Global Monitoring Report 2007. UNESCO
Doctorate of Education - University of Leicester, England
Bachelor of Arts- Education With High Distinction - Lebanese American University, Lebanon
Teaching Diploma - Lebanese American University, Lebanon
Child Development Associate - Montgomery College, Rockville, Maryland