Haigazian University


Undergraduate Academic Information

Academic Advising

Academic advising at Haigazian University reflects the Institution’s commitment to provide individualized attention that supports each student’s educational and career goals. All Special students are advised by the Registrar’s Office. All other students are advised by advisors assigned for them within their area of specialization.


All deadlines related to the registration are listed in the academic calendar available on the University’s Website. Students are expected to complete their registration during the registration period. Those registering during the late registration period must pay a special fee. Registered students may change their schedule with the approval of their academic advisors during the drop and add period. Returning students (those who have taken leave of absence) should register during the registration period for current students or during the late registration period.


Regular class attendance is expected of each student. Individual instructors are responsible for clarifying the policy of the University in the first session of the semester. The University allows students to miss a maximum of 6 class periods during a 3-credit course that meets three times a week, and 4 class periods during a 3-credit course that meets twice a week. The instructor has the right to limit the number of missed periods to less than 6 or 4, but he/she may not permit more. If a student misses sessions he/she will be warned by the instructor with a Notification of Excessive Absences. If the student misses more sessions than allowed by the instructor, then, his/her grade in the course will be recorded as XF and credit will not be given for the course.

Students should never assume that classes are dismissed or the University closed by relying on information other than official administrative notices.

The University allows no make-up examinations, except when the student presents an excuse to the instructor which the instructor finds acceptable.

Absence from final examinations is permissible only for a cause beyond the student’s control. Normally, permission for such an absence must be secured in advance of the time of the examination. The instructor will assume responsibility for dealing with such requests. For details refer to the University catalog.

Academic Progress

A Bachelor’s degree candidate must complete an average of 30 credit hours per year. The normal load of a regular full-time student is five courses, which usually equals to 15 credits. A regular full-time student in the undergraduate program is required to register in a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. Students who have a cumulative average of at least 75 and an average in the previous semester of at least 80 may register for more than the normal load with the advisor’s approval. A load of seven courses is not considered an overload if the sixth and seventh courses are one-credit courses. Under no circumstances will a student be allowed to register for more than 19 credits or seven courses per semester. A student is not allowed to withdraw from a course if his/her number of credits falls below 12. The normal load permitted during the Summer Session is two courses or seven credits. A load of three courses is not considered an overload if one of the courses is a one credit course. Only students expected to graduate during summer are allowed to register for an overload of three courses or nine credits upon the approval of the Academic Standing Committee.

Classification of Students

Students will be classified in one of the following categories:

Classification Credits Completed
1- Freshman 0 – 29
2- Sophomore 30 – 59
3- Junior 60 – 89
4- Senior 90 and above
5- Special: students who are not candidates for a degree from Haigazian University.
6- Intensive: students whose TOEFL score is between 450-524
7- Auditors: students who are registered for courses without receiving credit.


Examinations and Grading

Haigazian University operates on a semester basis. Fall semester examinations are given in December, Spring semester examinations are given in May, and Summer session examinations are given in July. Class attendance is mandatory in order to receive academic credit. Grades are calculated numerically with the maximum grade as 100 and the minimum grade as 40. The passing grade is 60. The following letter grades are also given:

I – Incomplete: Given in cases of illness or other circumstances beyond the student’s control which have prevented the student from completing the requirements for the course. The student should present valid reason to the instructor before the grades for the semester are reported. In such cases, the remaining work in the course must be completed within six weeks of the beginning of the next semester. Students may petition the Academic Standing Committee for an extension of the time limit.

Note: Students may not enroll in a course with a prerequisite course in which they have the grade of I unless they achieve a passing grade during the “change of schedule” period.

F – Fail: Given to students who fail non-numerically graded courses.

IF – Incomplete Fail: Given to students who have an I grade and fail to complete the work within the time limit.

P – Pass: Given to students who fulfill all requirements of non-numerically graded courses.

W – Withdraw: Given to students who withdraw from a course.

XF – Not Complete: Given to a student who stops attending a course without properly withdrawing from it; whose absences exceed the number specified by the instructor of the course; who misses the final exam without notification, and by the Administration for reasons other than absence. A student who has an excessive number of absences in a particular course must be sure to withdraw from that course before the withdrawal deadline or he/she will receive an XF.

Cumulative Average

To calculate the cumulative average, the grade for each course is multiplied by the number of credits, then the sum of the results is divided by the total number of credits. All grades of 100-level courses are excluded from the cumulative average. Freshman students one promoted to the Sophomore class will have their 100-level courses eliminated from their cumulative average.

All major courses and related field requirements will be included in the computation of the major average. Once a student changes his/her major, all below 60 grades received in previous major courses or university core requirements which are not required in the new major will be excluded from his/her cumulative average. The above policy also applies to Freshman requirements. Transfer course credits from other institutions are not included in the cumulative average. The grades of W and I are not counted in the average. The grades of IF and XF are counted as 40. If a student repeats a course, the most recent grade is computed in the average.

Academic Recognition

The President’s List and the Dean’s List are issued at the end of each semester to honor undergraduate students who have excelled in their courses during that term. As prerequisites for this honor, students must have regular full-time status, must be enrolled for at least 12 semester hours in courses which they have not taken before or withdrawn, must not have any failing or Incomplete grade(s), and must not be on disciplinary probation. Those who achieve a semester average of 90 or above will be placed on the President’s List for that semester. Likewise, those who achieve a semester average of 85 to 89.99 will be placed on the Dean’s List for that semester.

Academic Probation

Academic probation carries a serious warning to the student indicating that his/her scholastic record is unsatisfactory and continued failure to improve this record will result in academic disqualification. The Academic Standing Committee may also impose restrictions on the student’s program of study. The following regulations are applicable to both Regular and Special students. A student who does not earn a cumulative average of 70 or who fails in two or more courses in a given semester is placed on academic probation.

A new sophomore student will be placed on probation if the cumulative average of nine or more 200- level course credits is less than 70.

A student on probation can not register for more than four courses with a maximum of 15 credit hours, hold responsible positions in university extracurricular clubs or activities, or receive financial aid. However, a load of five courses will not be considered overload for students on probation if one of the courses is one credit, given that the total cumber of credits does not exceed 15.

New students who are accepted on probation will not have their probation removed before the completion of at least 12 credit hours. A freshman student who is on probation, when promoted to sophomore class, will remove probation if the cumulative average of six or more 200 level courses is above 70.

Probation is removed if the student attains a cumulative average of 70 or more and has no incomplete grades. The Summer sessions are not considered as regular semesters for the purpose of placement/removal of probation except in the case of students who will be graduating in July.

If a student who is on probation withdraws from the University, the semester will be disregarded and the student will be permitted to be readmitted on probation. This procedure will be permitted only once during the student’s study at the University. A student who does not change his/her probationary status within a year may lose his/her eligibility for enrollment.

A student who fails to remove probation will be placed on continued probation for another semester. Repeated probations may result in dismissal from the University.

A student on academic probation who gets a grade of I (Incomplete) at the end of the semester will have his registration pending for the following semester until the completion of the Incomplete grade and the decision of Academic Standing Committee.

Leave of Absence

A student who finds it necessary to interrupt his/her studies at Haigazian University may apply to the Registrar for a leave of absence prior to leaving the University. After obtaining a leave of absence, a student may be absent from Haigazian University for two semesters. Students whose leave of absence exceeds two semesters are considered automatically withdrawn from the University. To return to the University, students are required to readmit by filling the Readmission Form and paying the readmission fee. A leave of absence is granted for financial, medical or personal reasons. A leave of absence will not be granted to those whose purpose is to transfer to another institution. To return to the University, students need to reactivate their files by filling the Reactivation Form for Returning Students. Returning students may register during the registration period for current students or during the drop and add period, after reactivating their files. 

Dismissal from the University

Students on academic probation who fail to remove their probation by the end of  the semester may be dropped from the University, unless they have not failed any of the courses for which they had registered during the previous semester and they have attained a semester average of at least 70. Repeated probation may result in dismissal from the University.

Consideration for readmission may be given if the student petitions the Academic Standing Committee and presents evidence of exceptional circumstances that may have influenced his/her academic performance.

Students dropped from the University for poor academic performance who are considering readmission to the University, are required to:

  1. Attend another university for at least one semester, complete at least 12 credits, and maintain a semester average of 70.
  2. Present a petition addressed to the Academic Standing Committee requesting readmission.

If readmitted, students have to meet all conditions specified by the Academic Standing Committee, register for at least 12 credits and maintain a semester average of 70.

Withdrawal from Courses

Students are allowed to withdraw from a course with the grade W no later than the fourteenth week from the beginning of the semester. No student is allowed to withdraw from any course more than once, nor to reduce his/her number of credits below 12.
A Student wishing to withdraw from a course must fill in a Withdrawal Form, have it approved by his/her advisor, and submit it to the Registrar’s Office. A student who stops attending a course without withdrawing officially, will be given the grade XF (equal to 40) for the course.

Repeating Courses

  1. A student who fails a required course must repeat that course the next semester it is offered.
  2. Students are not allowed to repeat courses in which they have attained a grade of 70 or more.
  3. Students may not register for the same course more than three times.
  4. If a course is repeated, only the last grade will be included in the cumulative and major field average.
  5. A student who receives the grade W (Withdrawal) will have the chance to repeat the course one more time.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who wishes to withdraw in good standing must obtain a “Clearance Form for Withdrawal from University” from the Registrar’s Office and have it signed by the Registrar’s Office, the Financial Aid Office, the Librarian, the Student Life Office, the Billing Office, and the Cashier’s Office. Students may withdraw at any time prior to the first day of final examinations. Students who withdraw and later wish to be readmitted to the University will be required to apply for readmission. When considering such a petition, the Admissions Committee will take into consideration the quality of the student’s work prior to withdrawal. Students who fail to follow the required procedure will receive XF grade and may be refused readmission at a later date.


Students who have attended Haigazian University and have later withdrawn must reapply for admission by filling in a readmission form. Readmission will be based on the current admission policies, and the student will be required to meet current graduation requirements. Official transcripts of all academic work undertaken during the period of absence must be provided. Students whose leave of absence exceeds three semesters are considered automatically withdrawn from the University and lose their deposit. These students are required to fill the Readmission form to return to continue their studies.

Change of Major / Emphasis

  1. The maximum number of times a student is permitted to change from one major/empahasis to another shall be two.
  2. A student wishing to change his/her major must fill in a Change of Major Form and have it approved by the Departmental Chair of the new major and the Acadmic Standing Committee.
  3. Once a student changes his/her major, all failing grades received in previous major courses which are not required in the new major will be excluded from his/her cumulative average.
  4. Change of Major/Emphasis are effective for fall and spring semesters.
  5. A student who changes his/her major, must follow the program of study of the new major that is effective in the semester when the change of major is applied.


Haigazian University offers Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Business Administration and Bachelor of Science degrees, and a Normal Diploma. Students expecting to graduate must fill the Diploma Application Form during their last semester. This application will provide the Registrar’s Office with the information needed to prepare the diploma and to include the student’s name on the list of graduates. A Diploma Fee is required of all students even if they do not participate in the commencement ceremony.

Graduation With Honors

Honors at graduation are based on the cumulative average. For the purpose of awarding Honors, all grades, including those from failed and repeated courses, will be included in the calculation of a student’s cumulative average. In order to graduate with honors from Haigazian University, a student must fulfill the following conditions:

  • Must have been a regular a full-time student.
  • Must have completed the final academic semesters at Haigazian University.
  • Must have completed at least 60 credits of 200 level courses at Haigazian University.

Honors, designated “Summa Cum Laude,” “Magna Cum Laude” and “Cum Laude,” are conferred at graduation upon the students who satisfy the following conditions:

  • Cum Laude – a cumulative average of 85 to 87.49 and a major field average of 85 or above.
  • Magna Cum Laude – a cumulative average of 87.5 to 89.99 and a major field average of 85 or above.
  • Summa Cum Laude – a cumulative average of 90 or above and a major field average of 85 or above.

Duplicate Degree

Haigazian University degrees are issued only once when a student graduates. Under no circumstances will a second original degree be issued. A duplicate copy of the original degree may be issued upon the request of the student and after presentation of proof that the degree has been lost. The form “Application for Duplicate Degree” should be filled and presented to the Registrar’s Office. The issued Duplicate Degree can be delivered only to the student.

Bachelor Programs

To receive a Bachelor’s degree from Haigazian University, a student must complete the requirements of a declared major, the general education requirements, and all of the following:

  1. Complete a minimum of 124 credits with a cumulative average of 70, of which at least 94 credits ought to be in 200-level courses.
  2. Fulfill the residency requirement of four semesters and at least 60 credit hours at Haigazian University.
  3.  Fulfill the Freshman requirements, if admitted to that class.
  4. Fulfill the requirements for a major with an average of 70 in the major. At least 28 credits in the major must be taken at Haigazian University.
  5. Fulfill all financial obligations.
  6. Complete all the requirements for graduation within a maximum of seven calendar years. A student may interrupt his/her studies for no more than two calendar years at one time within these seven years. If a student has not completed his/her degree after seven years, he/she must apply for readmission and begin a new degree. No transfer of credits from the previous seven years of work will be allowed.
  7. Complete a minimum of six semesters of which the last two should be at Haigazian University.

Haigazian University graduates who rejoin the University to take courses in a new major will be granted a certificate upon completion of the requirements for that major.

Enrollment of Undergraduate Students in Any of the Social and Behavioral Graduate Programs

Undergraduate students who wish to take graduate courses for credit must have completed 95% of their major courses and be within 12 semester hours of completing their Bachelor’s degree. A student may not take more than three semester hours of graduate credit (one course), and prior approval must be obtained from the Social and Behavioral Sciences Department Chair. The credits of the course will be considered towards the undergraduate degree of the student. The student is required to pay graduate tuition fee.

Dual Degree

It is possible to study for a second degree at Haigazian University upon readmission after graduation. Students may, upon the approval of the department, complete the requirements for a second degree. A student will be granted the second degree if he/she completes at least 30 credits in the new major/degree.


Haigazian University offers minors in various departments. Students are required to complete minimum 18 credits in a minor. At least 9 credits of course work must be completed at Haigazian University. No more than nine credits may overlap to satisfy both the requirements of a minor and a major.

To be eligible to declare a minor, the applicant:

  • Must have completed at least 2 semesters (30 credits) at Haigazian University.
  • Must be on Normal Academic Status (not on probation).

For the completion of a minor, students are required to maintain an average of at least 70 in the courses taken in the minor. All required courses taken in the department in which a minor is declared, are computed in the average of the minor. For the requirements of each minor, students should refer to the departments concerned in the University catalog. A student is not allowed to declare two minors in the same department.

Minors are offered in Business Administration, Armenian Studies (Armenian Language, Armenian Literature, Armenian History and Cultural History), English Language, English Literature, Biology, Nutrition Sciences and Dietetics, Computer Science, Education, Psychology, Social Work, Political Science (International Relations and Middle East Politics), Music, and Physics.