In line with its aims of organizing thematic annual conferences, the HU ADRC held 3 conferences in 2013, also in 2014-2015-2016, and is planning another conference in May 29-31, 2017.
Armenian Diaspora Research Center
Call for Papers
Conference on “Armenians of Iraq”, May 29-31, 2017, Haigazian University
Research papers may be presented on any of the following topics:
- History: Armenians in Iraq: a) the pre-Genocide era, b) during the Armenian Genocide, c) the post-Genocide period (the British mandate; the monarchy; the pre- and post-Saddam era, etc.).
- The State and the Armenians: Armenians in state offices (the ministries, the military establishment, health, local government, etc.); minority rights in the constitution; Armenians in the Kurdistan Regional Government.
- Armenian refugees, refugee camps and conditions: Nahr El Omar, Baquba, etc.
- Post-Genocide Armenian residential areas: past and current Armenian settlements/residential areas of Mosul, Zakho, Dehok, Irbil, Bagdad, Basra, Havrez, Avzrug.
- The Armenian Church: history and role of the Armenian Church (Apostolic, Catholic and Evangelical) in Iraq, its role in inter-religious dialogue in Iraq and its humanitarian outreach.
- Organizations: history and role of Armenian organizations (social, athletic, philanthropic, sports, etc.) in Iraq.
- Culture: schooling and education, newspapers, choirs, Iraqi Armenian cultural figures, authors, actors, painters etc.
- Identity & Integration: Contribution of the community to the local culture (theatre, arts, media, photography, sports, music etc.), economy and industry, business and the market, media and publishing; social and philanthropic organizations; politics; Armenians in the Baath, Communist and other parties; matters of identity and the integration of Armenians in the native communities.
- The Community in the eyes of the Iraqis: The image of Armenians in Iraqi culture (movies, theater, literature, oral history, collective memory, etc).
- The Iraqi Armenian Diaspora: Repatriation of Iraqi Armenians to Soviet Armenia since the 1920s; the Iraqi Armenian Diaspora in the West (the US, Europe and Australia).
- Relations with: Armenia, the Middle East Armenian communities, the Armenian Diaspora at large and the Iraqi Armenian Diaspora.
- Participants are expected to present a research paper for 25 minutes in Armenian, English, French or Arabic (professional translation will be made available).
- The proceedings of the conference will be published in a separate book.
- Participants will have till July 30, 2017 to modify/further improve/develop their papers for the book (if need be).
- The HU ADRC will provide up to four days of accommodation for the participants of the conference
- Applicants are expected to submit an abstract of their paper by email by November 25, 2016 to the Armenian Diaspora Research Center.
- Official confirmation of participation and acceptance of the topic will be sent by December 20, 2016.
For further details, contact: 00961 1 349230 ext. 205, or 00961 3 712058, or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org