Call for Papers
International conference on
Armenian transitions and sociopolitical transformations
(1900—2020) – 2
The Khachatur Abovian Pedagogical University of Armenia and Haigazian University in Beirut are organizing a joint conference on “Armenian transitions and sociopolitical transformations between 1900 and 2020”. The conference will be held at Haigazian University, Beirut, on June 28-29, 2023.
This second conference, like the previous one, will examine the transitions and transformations that took place within the Armenian space during those 120 years in the following spheres:
- Iinstitutional– The church, national parties, philanthropic-educational-cultural and athletic organizations, Diaspora communities (գաղթօճախներ) and other national institutions.
- Cultural- Armenian Studies, the Armenian school, Armenian literature, language, theater, music, dance, architecture, monuments, newspapers, etc.
- Conceptual- Armenians, Armenianness, fatherland, Diaspora, identity, nation, patriotism, past legacy, the past, etc.
- Social- World perception, value system, family, the individual and the self, community, society, etc.
- Legal, state and state affairs– The Armenian Question, the Armenian Cause, the Armenian Genocide, citizenship, state, statehood, state institutions, etc.
The conference aims-
- To discern and examine phenomena that have led to diverse psychological, demographic, legal, behavioral, lifestyle, and communication transformations and the main trends that are becoming more obvious within the Armenian space in the course of the 21st
- To highlight and analyse the consequences and implications of these transformations.
- To examine how Armenians have faced these transformations.
- To speculate in which directions these transformations may develop.
- To debate how to cope with these transformations for the greater benefit of Armenian interests.
- To draw conclusions based on the deliberations.
The organizing committee expects panelists to discuss and present their topics in depth and extensively within the thirty minutes allocated to each.
Applicants are expected to submit the abstract of their topic by March 1, 2023 to either or both of the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com .
Applicants are required to provide, on a separate document (of some 250 words), their autobiography. Likewise applicants are requested to present an abstract (between 250 and 400 words) of their paper, which should be constructed based on the rationale of the aims of the conference mentioned above. Accepted papers will be announced on March 15, 2023.
Those whose papers are accepted are requested to submit to the organizing committee the draft of their paper by June 10, 2023. A compilation of the papers will be published in a separate book. Details concerning paper technicalities will be announced during the conference.
For further details and clarifications you may contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com , or call +37493733777 (Khachatur Stepanyan), or +9613712058 (Antranik Dakessian).
Armenian Diaspora Research Center
Call for Papers
Conference on “Armenians of the Arab Gulf states”
(Bahrein, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Sultanate of Oman, Qatar, The United Arab Emirates, Yemen) – December 6 & 7, 2022
The Haigazian University-based Armenian Diaspora Research Center (ADRC) will organize its seventh annual conference on the Armenian communities of the Middle East on December 6 & 7, 2022. The conference will be held both on line and in person.
I. Research papers may be presented on any of the following topics:
- History: Armenians in the Arab Gulf states from the 1940s onwards.
- Armenian settlement areas and conditions: Armenian settlement/residential areas in the said countries; demography and occupation, etc.; community structure and relations with the Armenian Diaspora and the fatherland
- The Armenian Church (Apostolic, Catholic and Evangelical): the role and place of the Armenian Church in the said countries’ Armenian communities; its role in inter-religious dialogue and humanitarian outreach.
- Organizations: the role of Armenian organizations (social, philanthropic, sports, etc.) in the said countries; their evolution, inter-organizational relations and cooperation.
- Culture: schooling and education; leaflets-publications; choirs, theatre, radio stations and TV programs; characteristics and particularities of the Armenian community.
- Integration: contribution of the community to the local culture (theater & TV, arts, photography, sports, music etc.); economy and industry, business and the market; media and publishing; social and philanthropic organizations.
- Local perceptions of the community: the image of Armenians in the mainstream community culture (movies, theater, literature, oral history, collective memory, etc.) as well as in media.
- Intrastate relations: Republic of Armenia-Gulf Arab states relations in the past 30 years and their evolution.
- Republic of Armenia citizens in the Gulf Arab states: their profile.
- Matters of identity: The reshaping and transformations of Armenian identity in the said countries; the engagement of the new generation in community affairs; Armenian students in non-Armenian schools; mixed marriages; integration and dissolution in mainstream communities.
II. Applicants are expected to email an abstract of their paper by September 30, 2022.
ADRC will confirm the participation of the applicants by October 7, 2022.
III. Upon acceptance, applicants are expected to.-
- Present a research paper for 20 minutes in Arabic, Armenian, or English in person or via live transmission.
- Submit the final version of their papers for publication by February 28, 2023.
IV. ADRC will provide up to three days’ accommodation for the participants of the conference.
For further details, contact: 00961 1 349230 ext. 205, or 00961 3 712058, or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Armenian Diaspora Research Center