Haigazian University



The following questions are frequently asked by prospective students.

Who should attend Orientation?


All new undergraduate students at all levels (i.e., Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Transfer, and Special) are required to attend the different sessions of the Orientation Program. Also, enrollment in OR 099 is required to graduate from HU.

Is there anything I need to do before the Orientation Day?


There really is not too much you need to do before Orientation. Just be sure to look over the website and become aware of the different programs, majors, and courses.

Who and what is an advisor?


Academic advising at HU reflects the institution’s commitment to provide individualized attention that supports each student’s educational and career goals. The advisor is a Faculty member who orients the student towards the Graduation Day.

What are the types of courses?  What courses should I register for?


The courses at HU are divided into three categories: 1) University requirements courses (at the Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior levels), 2) Major courses, and 3) Elective courses. Some requirements, e.g., English courses and Intercultural Studies courses, must be taken in the specified class and may not be postponed; they must be always taken in sequence. On the other hand, students are advised to take no more than 3 major courses per semester. Finally, a regular student should register for at least 4 courses (12 credits).

Whom do I contact in case I have a personal or academic problem?


You have many options, but the important thing is for you to “get into action” before it’s too late. There are many people at HU who care about you and are concerned about your personal and academic success. Don’t be afraid to tell them about your problems. If you feel like discussing personal problems in depth, you can meet the University Counselor, the Campus Minister, your academic advisor, or the Orientation Director; nothing gives them more pleasure than helping students.

What if I have problems with a professor?


You should first try to resolve informally the problem with the professor. If that does not work, you may approach the following entities respectively: the department chairperson, the dean, and the Academic Standard Committee to help you find a solution.

How can I study better?


You are advised to monitor your academic progress and improve your learning skills; i.e. reading, writing, listening, note-taking, test-taking, and critical thinking. OR 099 will give you basic information about how to do so.

What is academic probation?


Academic probation carries a series of warnings to the student that his/her academic record is unsatisfactory and continued failure to improve this record will result in academic disqualification. The Academic Standing Committee may also impose restrictions on the student’s program of study. Thus, a student on probation may not a) register for more than 15 credit hours/ 4 courses, b) hold responsible positions in the university’s extracurricular clubs or activities, or may not be offered financial aid. Finally, probation is removed if the student has a cumulative average of 70 or more and has no incomplete grades.

Can I get scholarship and/or financial aid?


A healthy academic performance can lead you to receive high grades and be on the President’s list by achieving a semester average of 90 or above, or on the Dean’s list by achieving a semester average of 85 or above. A student honored by these two lists is provided with financial assistance ranging from 25 to 30 percent of tuition. On the other hand, financial aid is granted annually to regular full-time students and is calculated on the basis of the tuition for 12 credit hours per semester (the regular full-time students). Finally, you can apply for financial aid; upholding human dignity is the motive to financially help HU students.

What if I haven’t decided on a major?


You must talk with your advisor to determine when a major should be chosen. Undergraduate students may not decide on a major until they finish their college requirement courses.

What is a drop/add period?


It’s the first week of the semester in which you are given the right to withdraw from any course and to join any other with the consent of the advisor and without losing any money.

What are MWF and TTh?


Courses are usually scheduled on either:
MWF: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
TTh: Tuesday, Thursday

What is a Syllabus?


It is the outline of a course. It contains the following: the University Logo, Faculty [School] & Department, Instructor’s name, e-mail, office hours, office location, and phone number, classroom location, class time, course description, course goals, course outline and calendar, activities of participants, text materials and resources, Grading policy, information about the course vs. major, and class rules and regulations. Finally, the syllabus is tantamount to a contract between you and the instructor.

Are there rules and regulations in class?


It is your responsibility to be familiar with the information presented in the catalog, know and observe all policies and procedures related to the program you are pursuing. Most of HU instructors observe the following rules, regulations, and requirements in their classes:

– Readings must be done prior to each session.
– All students have to be on time to class.
– Attendance is mandatory.
– Absences do not absolve the student from the responsibility for the work done or for any announcements made during his/her absence.
– No more than 9 absences [MWF] / 6 absences [TTh] to a 3 credit-course are allowed irrespective of any justification. Teachers have the right to limit this further.
– No make-up tests/exam unless with the consent of the instructor.
– Each student is responsible for performing academic tasks in such a way that honesty is not in question. For instance, plagiarism is not tolerated because it is considered as the most serious academic offense.